Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Is This Normal?




(This is a "re-post" of my first "good girl" blog entry. Still relevant, so I thought I'd start off my own blog with this. Enjoy!)

When my fabulous friend (a.k.a. “the good girl”) approached me about blogging on my newlywed adventures I was a bit apprehensive. As much as I love talking about myself and my husband, I was unsure about sharing my thoughts and experiences to everyone via a medium that, in my opinion, is saturated with celebrity gossip and the ponderings of political pundits. But, when I mentioned this to my husband (a young man who loves seeing his name in print) his answer was “Let’s go for it!”. So here we go.

The goal of this blog is twofold: 1) to document our first year of marriage so that we can look back at this 20 years from now, reminisce and share a good laugh, and
2) to dispel the belief that the first year of marriage is filled with moments of bliss, topped with sugary sweet snuggles and smooches. At least that’s what newlywed couples on T.V. would have you to believe. Think Shrek and Fiona.

So far we've experienced a combination of moments filled with pure bliss and others of sheer frustration. We found ourselves asking “Is this Normal ?” Yep, you bet it is! For instance it's perfectly normal not to agree on everything from what restaurant to eat at Friday nights to what percentage of your portfolio should you all devote to mutual funds. It’s perfectly normal to have the most intense feelings of unconditional love and devotion for your spouse one day, followed by feelings of utter frustration the next day. It’s normal! That’s just a part of marriage.

The most important thing is that our commitment to each other and our marriage is unwavering. I hope that readers of this blog are able to see that even though our first year may not be “picture perfect”, it’s perfectly normal to us.
Was your first year a little "abnormal?" Not quite what you expected? Discuss...

No comments:

Post a Comment