Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Miss Independent


As I slowly awaken from my barbecue brisket induced coma this July 4th, I’m reminded not only of America’s declaration of independence from Great Britain some 230-plus years ago, but I also think of the independence that marriage affords. The phrase “independence in marriage” might sound like an oxymoron, but I've found this statement to be true in my marriage.

I know I’ve written about this before-the importance of having a life outside of your marriage- but it’s a lesson that I can’t stress enough! You must have lives independent of each other. Now don’t get me wrong, it is not okay to have secret bank accounts, clandestine visits to the strip club or a mysterious “friend” listed under an alias in your cell phone. I just mean that you must make an effort to maintain the unique interests, activities and relationships that you had prior to you becoming “Mrs. ______”. Those activities and relationships contribute to the “you-ness” that made your spouse fall head over heels. Why on earth would you change any of that up?

So if you and your girls have a standing date in New Orleans every year for Essence festival, keep going. Or if you and your mom traditionally hit up the stores with the rest of the serious bargain hunters at midnight on Black Friday every year, keep doing it!

This Independence Day, my hubs had to work so I relaxed “independently” with family and friends. Since he had to miss out, I made hubby a plate of his favorite smoked hot links and barbeque chicken for him to feast on after a hard day’s work*. So, although we were not able to celebrate together today, there are no feelings of guilt or animosity, because our marriage is built on trust, and trust allows for a certain amount of independence.

*Somehow we’ve fallen into tradition patriarchal marriage roles when it comes to food since I’m usually the one responsible for our daily meals. Hmm, sounds like a future blog topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment